By ChrisPass Hunter Disc frames are now in stock. This new frame uses the same geometry as the original Pass Hunter. It makes a great all-road bike, at home on paved, gravel, or dirt roads. The tubing is slightly lighter and the chainstays are a bit shorter than our other frames, making for a sportier feel. But the Pass Hunter is substantial enough for credit card or minimalist touring.
After much consideration and testing we decided to use internal cable routing for the rear brake. This is, by far, the cleanest way to have three cables on the down tube. But we didn't just drill two holes in the tube. We have neat entrance and exit guides brazed on and a small tube brazed inside the down tube. This inner tube makes it simple to thread the brake cable and helps keep water a gunk out of the frame.
The fork retains a traditional lovely French-style curve. We had to make a custom, and very expensive, brake mount to accomplish this. The rear dropout features a cool shape (at least to my eye) and a replaceable derailleur hanger. There are bosses or eyelets to allow proper mounting of fenders as well as front or rear racks.
I'm personally really excited by these frames, so excited that I'm selling my green custom-made fillet brazed Pass Hunter and replacing it with a new production-built orange frame. If you come to the Philly Bike Expo you can be among the first to see my new orange frame built up.
Here are some details from the product description:
- 4130 double butted chrome-moly frame and fork.
- IS brake mounts
- 1-1/8" threadless fork with lovely French-style bend and VO-designed brake mount.
- 700c wheel size.
- 135mm rear spacing.
- Clearance for 35mm tires with fenders, 38mm without.
- Internal routing for rear brake cable housing (or hydraulic tubing). There is a small internal tube brazed in for cable routing, making installation simple and preventing water from getting into the frame tubes.
- Vertical dropouts.
- Replaceable stainless steel derailleur hanger
- Fender bosses under fork crown, at seat stay bridge, and at chainstay bridge for easy fender mounting.
- Two water bottle cage mounts.
- Single eyelets on rear dropouts. Fender and upper rack bosses on fork, plus front eyelets.
- Internal seat stay eyelets
- Seat tube decal over clear coat.
- Metal head badge. (except on 51cm size)
- The frame geometry chart can be found at this link.
- A brief comparison of the frame and other VO frames can be found at this link.
|Rack eyelets and fender mounts.|
|Semi-wrap seat stays and a "luggy' brazed-on seat post clamp.|
|Replaceable derailleur mount and fender/rack eyelets|
|Horizontal top tube.|
|Internal brake cable routing and down tube shifter bosses.|
|Standard 68mm BB, internal cable routing.|
|Cool VO-designed brake mount, bosses for fenders and racks.|
|Metal headbadge (on all but 51cm size), bi-plane fork crown, and "luggy" head tube reinforcement collars.|