14 March, 2018

Renewing Your Cockpit in an Afternoon

By Scott

I'll admit that I'm perhaps not the best at aesthetics.  My wife's tried in the last couple years to update my wardrobe past jeans and a t-shirt. Bike wise, I try to look at how Clint and Igor have outfitted frames, creating a cohesive and tidy look, and try to emulate that. Problem is that I tend to do my builds out of my STASH collection. Thus it's a hodgepodge of stuff.  One thing that I've tried to work on is bar tape though. Bar tape is the last of the cheap and easy ways to update/spruce up/freshen up a bike. In the past, I was strictly a black tape kinda guy - goes with everything, no stress about matching shades, etc. But in the last few years, I've seen the upside of a variety of colors being used as bar tape. Now, I'll never be good enough, like Clint, to do a harlequin style or tie-dye a set of wraps, but I'm certainly seeing an advantage to changing the tape color often to change the mood of a build or just to acknowledge the change in a season.

Clint's Harlequin chain stay wrap

I read years back that the pro racers would use black tape over the winter (didn't show dirt, etc.) but that as soon as spring arrived, they would have the mechanics swap over to white for the spring races. A few pros were known for putting new white tape on before every big race as a way of showing that they were 100% prepared for that race.

When I built up my Piolet originally, I went with grey tape. I wanted something with a more subtle color compared to orange tape, which would have matched the color of the cables on the bike.  I thought grey would be great. And it was. I liked it, but this winter when I was switching the brake levers out, I needed to change it up. So what to use? Hmm....

I did some consulting with my co workers and it was decided to go with the blue of the Comfy Cotton Tape. Not a total match to the muted blue of my original model Piolet, but a nice contrast, and it still maintains a somewhat muted appearance.


life behind Scott's bars

So for a few bucks and about 15 minutes of work, I've totally updated the look of my bike, especially considering the cockpit is really what my eyes see when I ride the bike. There are certainly other ways to change the look and feel of your bike, but for $12, I'd say this is a pretty cost effective way to go about it. What ways do you spruce up the look/feel of your bike?

6 comments:

Morlamweb said...

My favorite way to spruce up the bike is to wipe the frame and rims with a clean rag (a clean rag + solvent for the rims). It's something that I do almost weekly in the winter. I don't spit-shine it or spend excessive amounts of time polishing it; just enough to get the dirt off of the retroreflective tape and the rims. It makes for a safer ride and a more visible rider.

mike w. said...

White (or any other colour)cloth tape with 3-4 coats of clear shellac to keep it clean and seal the edges. Lasts for years.

Anonymous said...

why wrap the chainstay?

VeloOrange said...

@Anon,

To prevent chainslap when going over the rough stuff.

doink said...

what are these bars? love the look of them.

VeloOrange said...

@doink- Those are our Daija Far Bars.
https://velo-orange.com/collections/handlebars/products/dajia-cycleworks-far-bar-handlebar

Scott