13 July, 2012

Crocodile Grips

Igor has wanted to do city bar grips and bar covers and toe clip leathers in other types of leather. This is crocodile pattern embossed cow hide. We decided to make samples and I like them enough to order a few hides for a tiny experimental production run.

The black actually looks better, but is hard to photograph well. They provide about as much cushioning as cotton bar tape. Yeah, this is a silly project and certainly not for everyone. But it offers a fun "over-the-top" look for those of us with impeccable style. (Or maybe not.) BTW, they are made right here in Annapolis.


We should have them in stock in 2-3 weeks. I wonder if this leather might not make some cool cycling shoes?

13 comments:

Noah said...

I'm all for going as far as possible to find the line. I think you've found it. ;)

Anonymous said...

This is not crazy at all. I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

fmackay said...

Not interested unless I can get the matching shoes ;)

btw I have found there is room under your elkhide for 1 or 2 (with thin edges overlapped) pieces of cork tape run along the top side of the bars for a bit of useful extra cushioning. The tighter leather also seems less inclined to move - I previously had some trouble with the covering on the straight grip section of porteur bars coming unstuck and twisting (should the seam be flat or ridged as on a baseball?).

dwainedibbly said...

Matching saddle?

Gunnar Berg said...

Do you still have those black alligator pattern panniers. And I forget, did you win the croc pattern aluminum fenders we were both bidding on a couple of years ago. I hope so. It would make a great package.

Anonymous said...

This isn't a knock on these but something like these would also appeal a lot to the Lowrider bike crowd I would think.

TSVDP said...

It's a great posting to celebrate Bastille Day!

Kilroy said...

Greetings,

This could be a gateway to enticing the "well to do" crowd into entering cycling as a pastime. You could forego the faux leather and produce the real thing- emu, aligator, ostrich, snakeskin. You guys are clever.
Then offer matching shoes, jackets, pants, helmet covers, etc. The sky's the limit!

Anonymous said...

They look pretty tacky to me, but I'm sure not to everyone! I'm sure you could sell them if you did a small run of them, but I wouldn't expect them to be a big seller, which is probably in line with your expectations.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. What are you thinking?

Raleigh Rancher said...

Yes, please! And I'll take a matching saddle, as suggested by dwaineddibly!

Anonymous said...

Way to fashionista for my taste.

Mack Master Retrogrouch said...

go ahead
pimp yo bepedalled steed with some class

someone realized that suave european understatement could be dead boring