24 November, 2008

Air and Space


We went to the National Air and Space Museum yesterday. While Alec, our 9-year old, wanted to see space ships and rockets, I was fascinated by the Wright brother's creation, their bicycles that is. As you probably know, prior to building the first flying machine, the Wright brothers built bicycles. The model on display seemed amazingly modern and ridable, though it might benefit from a VO saddle and seat post. Bikes certainly haven't changed as much as airplanes.

We also went inside the Skylab space station. I noticed the exercise bike used by the astronauts to stave off the muscles loss caused by a zero-gravity environment. It had handlebars that look surprisingly like the upcoming Velo Orange Belleville handlebars. Even NASA is influenced by the French constructeurs.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out the chainguard on this Wright Cycle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wright_Cycle_Dayton_AirForce_Museum_2007.jpg

lee.watkins said...

The wood rims look fantastic. I would love it if someone produced some wood rims with aluminum reinforcement. Maybe sell them unfinished so I could choose what color stain to use... Or maybe I would just use linseed oil.

lynnef said...

Wood rims. here you are:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2121/2254291740_480e59a67d.jpg

Greg said...

ETA (heh, space talk) on the Bellville bars?

For that modern scorcher look without the price tag of an original Wright Brother's or even an Ibis Scorcer, check out the Pashley Guv'nor: http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/guvnor.html

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to placing an order for the Bellville bars!

Velo Orange said...

We think the bars will arrive in 4-6 weeks. We got and approved the production sample last week, so the factory is ready to go.

Schorsch said...

Now there are two bars that I would instantly buy from you if you made them: 1. Those bars on the Wright Bros. Bike, for an around-town scorcher, and 2. These unfortunately discontinued OEM bars from the Masi Randonneur: http://tinyurl.com/6qqrhl

z-man said...

I, for one, am really digging that fork crown!

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I am really looking forward to you carrying some of those white bicycle pants. I know trends, and White tight shorts are the new Brooks, I am telling you...

Anonymous said...

The name of the bars should be spelled Belleville, not Bellville. Since Belle in French means beautiful and the town is "beautiful city". If it was just a typo, my apologies for the nitpicking.

Cheers,
Allan (I don't wanna register) Pollock

Velo Orange said...

Yes; it should be Belleville. Fixed. Thanks.

Gunnar Berg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom said...

"Anonyme a dit…

Chris,
I am really looking forward to you carrying some of those white bicycle pants. I know trends, and White tight shorts are the new Brooks, I am telling you...
24/11/0. 8 20:53 "

Chris:

See, the white saddle will match with the pants.