02 July, 2008

You Asked for Them


One of the items that's been most often requested from VO is this special bolt set for mounting racks, like the Nitto M12 and Campee, on cantilever brakes. So we finally got some of them in. In all honesty, I think regular bolts work fine in this application, though you do need to check them for tightness once in a while. The advantage of these bolts is that, at least in theory, they should not loosen. And they look very cool, which is paramount.

Speaking of tightening cantilever bolts, don't overdo it. It's very easy to distort the braze-on and then the brakes won't pivot smoothly. It's better to use some Locktight.


We also got some inexpensive track grips in various colors. They are great for city bike handlebars and some folks even use them on track bars.

In other news, our Grand Cru water bottle cages have been unloaded and should clear customs and be on the way to us in a week or so. Also, the VO stainless steel fenders are done and looking for a ship.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to publicly say thanks for all the great stuff and the FANTASTIC service. I placed an order recently on a Wednesday and my package arrived on Saturday. THANKS CHRIS!!!

Velo Orange said...

It's not me. Heidi and Annette make sure all the order get out quickly. I only order the stuff.

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Will these bolts work with Paul Racers?

Velo Orange said...

No, but I think Paul has a bolt kit that will. Must check.

Adam said...

Geez Chris -- every time I place an order with you, you make me start building the list for my next order the very next week :-)

Regarding the special canti/rack mount bolts -- while it's true these are not really necessary on many frames, they can be VERY helpful if you need to squeeze the rack legs to fit your particular canti spacing, as it means you don't need to juggle keeping the brake spring and rack aligned simultaneously.

I used them to mount an M12 on my Raleigh Portage; it was just too finicky to mount it without them.

Anonymous said...

Super cool, Chris. Any idea if/when you are getting the Nitto Campee?

Velo Orange said...

Funny thing about those Campee racks. They were listed on the manifest of a shipment that arrived two days ago, but they didn't arrive. Today I heard that the rear Campee racks are being loaded on our next ocean shipment, due in a few weeks, but there's no mention of the front racks. It's time for a beer.

Anonymous said...

Paul makes a bolt kit. Or at least they did. Paul has been running out of items lately. Hope there is no problem.

Chris, I like the track grips. Perhaps your source can make the even better looking and more comfortable thread infused variety.

Ian Dickson said...

I tried my M-12 with and without the bolts. They made it much easier to get the rack solid without over-tightening the brake.