20 April, 2007

This Place is Filling Up


We just keep getting new stuff. The Amish baskets arrived and they are even nicer than the samples. They used slightly narrower strips that they say are stronger, but they are also even prettier.

In case you didn't read about them I'll repeat this from a previous post:

"Eli Hershberger and his family, with four small kids, make baskets in rural Minnesota. They are an Amish family who grow their own food on a small plot, keep one horse and a cow, and use a generator to power their saw. Since the road outside their farm has been closed they've had no place to sell their baskets. You can't drive too far in a horse and buggy."

These baskets are one of the few ways the Hershbergers can make money. It's their main family business. Again, a big thanks to Neil Berg for arranging all this.

Here are the specs:

Small basket-- 8.5" x 9.5" x 12", 1 lbs, 10 oz. $38
Large basket--10" x 11" x 12", 2 lbs, 12 oz $65
Pannier-- 11.5" x 12.5" x 7", 2 lbs, 1 oz (each) $95 PER PAIR

They're in the store now and I'll e-mail those of you who reserved them.

We now have some Simplex Chainguards and Pellisier hubs and Belleri "Tour" city bike bars. The French Rando bars also arrived ($40)


8 comments:

Alan said...

The baskets are quite nice indeed. I may need to think about putting on my wife's bike.

Reference Library said...

Will the front baskets be okay without a front rack for support?

Velo Orange said...

Folks use baskets without front racks all the time. But If I loaded up the big one with heavy stuff a rack would be nice.

BTW, they are finished with linseed oil. I'd rub or bruch some linseed oil, tung oil, or Watco oil on them about once a year if you want to keep them looking new.

Anonymous said...

Can you post some more views of the Rando bars so we can get a better idea of the shape, drop, reach, ramp, etc..?

Anonymous said...

Where (in the store) can I find the chain gaurds of which you speak?

Velo Orange said...

I'll get more rando bar photos up and put them in the store in the next few minutes.

I only have a few of the Simplex chainguards at the moment, but a case of them will arrive on Tuesday. (I usually get samples by mail first when dealing with NOS stuff) I was going to add them to the store then, but I'll put up a photo as soon as I take one.

Today was inspection day, fire inspection, occupancy inspection, building inspection. Now I'm way behind.

Anonymous said...

Hi VO, If possible, can you post another photo of the French "tour" city bars? A top view to shop the swoop and curve. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Just received the panniers. Excellent craftmanship. I wasn't expecting anything lese. Will mount them after the weekend. I may have to splurge on the fron basket.