11 April, 2007

Arrivals

Our shipment of Nitto S-83 seat posts have arrived from Japan. They are really nice looking two bolt posts with an extraordinary finish. They are every bit as well made as any of my Campy posts and better designed.

We also have Nitto R and Nitto T water bottle cages. They are more a piece of art than a component, and priced like it. But if you have to have the most beautiful cages made, there is no other choice.

The sample set of inexpensive 650B wheels arrived and I was impressed. They are CR-18 36h rims laced to Nexave hubs (not Nexus). Nexave hubs are meant for hybrids and city bikes, but they seem to be a very nice and well made component. We ordered a few sets. They will cost $135 and should be here in a few days. I can't get many of these so if you want a set it might be a good idea to reserve them.

Those of you coming to the open house will be the first to see the VO city bike frame. I'll try to get it at least partially built up by Sunday. We may also have one of the fixie frames on display.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried mounting a tire on those Sun CR-18 rims yet? There was a bit of discussion on the lists today (4/11) about this. Early reports seemed to indicate that Col de la Vie tires, normally a loose fit and an easy install without tools, are challenging to nearly impossible to mount on the Sun rims because the rims are slightly off-spec.

--Steve Palincsar

Velo Orange said...

They are tighter than many rims, but I have mounted tires on them, including some 44mm Michelins (no we don't stock them yet) that are pretty tight normally.

Anonymous said...

I want some of those 44mm Michelins!
What's the rear spacingon the 650B wheels? I would suggest 128mm for retrofitting most 700c road bikes.

Anonymous said...

Are you planning on stocking the Nitto SP-72 Jaguar seat post as well? The laser-etched logo on the S-83 is the only (subjective) drawback...

Anonymous said...

I am looking for a Jaguar too. I don't really take to the etched S-83 logo myself, and would like a double clamp Nitto post.

Alf

Anonymous said...

I bought a Jaguar a few months back. To my eyes, it's the prettiest seat post currently made. Two of the details that make it so lovely are missing from the S-83: the taper in the post body towards the top and the classic stamped NITTO logo on the front of the post. That said, the Jag at retail is significantly more expensive than the S-83, which is a classy looking SP at a good price.
nv

Velo Orange said...

Okay, I get the message ;<) I'll enquirer about getting some SP-72 posts.

I'm also thinking about getting some flat porteur bars and another bar with a little sweep and a little rise.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to ask, Chris - are they available in 300mm lengths? I'm one of those fellows who ride a 26" MTB and need that one or two inches more which the 250mm does not provide.

-Alf

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I have the S-83 on two of my bikes and the etching is barely noticeable once it is installed, especially once you strap on a saddle bag. As to function, it is excellent and easy to fine tune. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Velo Orange said...

Alf, The post are made in 300mm, but we don't stock them because there is so little demand for the longer length.

mpetry912 said...

Chris the shop looks tres bien, very cool. I'm going to order a rack when they come in, plus some of those Wolber rims. Thanks for posting the pics!