09 August, 2016

Our Shifters go to 11 and Other Minor Updates

by Clint


Dia-Compe 11-speed downtube shifters have landed. Retail is $85. Here they are on the site.

These are so much more than 11-speed downtube shifters. With over 50mm of total cable pull, these shifters will work with just about any derailleur. We've tested them on Shimano 11-speed road and Shimano 10-speed mountain.  Here's what you need to know:
  • Designed for 11-speed, but will work with fewer speeds;
  • Better option for 10-speed drivetrains than our other Dia-compe levers;
  • Non-indexed, micro ratchet design;
  • Right barrel is larger than the left for more cable pull;
  • Not compatible with bar end or "thumbie" mounts because of the oversized barrel.
For nerdy eyes only:
To calculate the amount of total cable pull your drivetrain requires use the following formula
total cable pull = cable pull of intended shifter * (s - 1) 
Where s is the number of speeds of your cassette. If the total is less than 50mm, these shifters should work.

More about these on my previous post; I'm still running this setup on my Passhunter.

Left
Right
They're compatible with all sorts of derailleurs and they look pretty spiffy with a pair of these.

In other news, the Cigne stems are due in soon, hopefully within the next month. We're thinking these will be $80 retail. As for the Polyvalent 4, we're still pretty far out and waiting on first prototypes. The time scale will depend on how these turn out and what we want to change.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guys, $85!!!!! Sorry but I'll stay with my current 8 & 9 speed set up....

Neil E. Hodges said...

You'll spend a lot more money upgrading everything else to 11-speed than you'll spend on these shifters.

Rod Bruckdorfer said...

I will stay with 9-speed until I have exhausted all parts options. The challenge with 10-speed and 11-speed cassette is the gears are close together, which means changing gears requires very little cable movement, i.e. small shifter movements.

Unknown said...

I've never ridden 10+ gears with friction shifters, but with the cogs all packed together as Rod Bruckdorfer points out, is it actually *easier* to shift? I mean if you pick a random lever position you are more likely to be near a sweet spot than with well-spaced-out cogs, no? Picking the actual cog you want would be more challenging, but I imagine there would be less trimming & adjustment with 10+.

Anonymous said...

Friction shifting with a 10 speed is basically impossible to mess up, minor touches yield quick and precise shifts, as with any friction shifting, you get a feel for the shifter position as they relate to gears as you ride and gain experience with the particular combo

RoadieRyan said...

these go to Eleven https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

Anonymous said...

I Just mounted the right side lever last night and honestly I can understand why you have a front and read lever, but I am not running a front derailleur so the left one is kind of wasted. It would be nice to save a couple bucks and only buy the right lever!
Also, I hope you are working on some options for Handlebar/Stem Mounting!? I can use the downtube shifter boss of my Atlantis for the time being, but long term I think mounting on the stem would be ideal.

I will report back once I actually get the chance to do some shifting, but right now I am waiting for my Cassette to show up! - Mas