06 December, 2011

Campy-Compatible Hubs

The Campy versions of our Grand Cru touring and VO high-low hubs have arrived. Many Campy fans, myself included, have been waiting for these. They are available on all our hubs and on all VO rear wheels.
We also have the freehub bodies available separately so you can slip them onto your existing wheel. It only takes about 5 seconds, and no tools, to switch from Shimano to Campy compatibility.
I know that some of you don't get the appeal of Campy products. And I have to admit that I don't notice much diffidence in performance between Campy, Shimano, and Sram. But many of us really love the Campy brifters, still the best ever in my opinion. I also like that many little internal parts for Campy derailleurs and brifters are available. I can rebuild stuff instead of replacing it, or convert 9-speed brifters to 10-speed. Finally, I like that front shifting is non-index.

Just a note about one other compatibility issue. All of our cranks work with 5 to 10-speed, be it Campy, Shimano, or Sram. They should also work with 11-speed, but we have not tested that since none of us ride 11-speed yet.

Update: It looks like these will work with 11-speed on the high-low hub, but not on the high flange touring hub. The higher flanges cause the spoke ends to rub the innermost cog on Campy 11-speed cassettes.

8 comments:

dr2chase said...

Non-indexed front shifting seems like a huge win. I borrowed a friend's (very nice) bike once with indexed front brifter shifting, and it drove me nuts because when there was a rub, I could not easily fix it.

Mark W said...

Of course this news arrives the week after I get my Shimergo drivetrain going on my hi-low-equipped Rando...

Also, this further cements the VO hubs as my favourite hubs on the market.

Anonymous said...

NOONE RIDING 11 SPEED? and you call yourself a legitimate bike shop? ;)

Anonymous said...

How about making a pair of friction brifters?

Kelvin Mulcky said...

Yay!

Dellis said...

Excellent. I will order a wheelset soon.

RoadieRyan said...

Anonymous might be friction brifters sooner than you think http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/11/28/first-look-retroshift-brake-shift-levers-for-cyclocross/

Captain Blight said...

Speaking of Campy-compatible:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/789124-Campy-Nuovo-Record-on-the-Simplex-dropout-*-Execution

You may or may not wish to contact this fella and see if he wants his work featured; that said, there are more than a few Pugs still running around, and more than a few people who'd like to upgrade their shifting.

Happy Holidays, y'all.

--Captain Blight