28 April, 2015

Rhodia Notebooks, The VO Standard.

By Chris
Sometimes I think Velo Orange runs on notebooks. Most of us always have them out, listing, sketching, doodling. I've long used Rhodia notebooks, which have been made since 1934 in France and are named after the Rhone river. The two trees in the logo represent the two brothers who started the company.

Rhodia notebooks use acid free paper, and they work well with any kind of pen or pencil. I like them because they are well made and sturdy. And, it goes with out saying, because they have orange covers.

You may have noticed that the grid background on this and on our web site is the Rhodia grid. Kyle, our web designer, thought it could be our trademark after seeing it so often around our office. So we thought that it was about time we offered a few models in our Camp and Cabin section. 
This small notebook is handy for jotting down grocery lists, errands, and inspirational quotes. It fits perfectly in a shirt pocket or even a tiny saddle bag. I use this model when I go to the gym to record progress or, too often, lack of it. It has 24 sheets (48 pages) per book.
The medium sized notebook has a hard cover It features dot graph paper with 5mm spaced dots. An inside pocket is handy for storing business cards or cash. I like this style for traveling to trade shows and for factory visits because it's so sturdy and just fits in my pants pocket. These are for the notes I'll need to refer to years later. An elastic strap to keep this notebook closed and secure. Rhodia calls this the "web notebook," but no matter where I click nothing loads.
This large top stapled pad is always on my desk at VO. Another sits on my home office desk. I use them constantly, during every morning meeting, in design sessions, and for phone call notes. If you've ever visited VO you've probably seen me writing in one. I like the sturdy cardboard back that allows me write with it on my knee, and the grid makes my lousy handwriting somewhat decipherable. The grid also helps with drawing design sketches. The cover is cleverly creased so it lies flat underneath the pad.

One last thing, unlike my Nexus pad, they never run out of juice. I actually did try working exclusively on a pad computer like one of those Silicon Valley CEOs. Even wore a black t-shirt. But paper notebooks are just easier.

What do you think, iPad  or note pad?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Because I have been a fountain pen user all of my life, I am a big fan of Rhodia's stuff--though even more, a fan of their parent company, Clairefontaine. It's the same paper, but the Clairefontaine books have a nice, narrow lined layout.