20 June, 2013

Customer Submitted Bike Hacks

by Igor

Alright so grab your hacksaw. Kidding...

Dan asked us if the Gran Compe Barrel Adjusters fit our City Levers by replacing the cable stop that comes with the lever set. We tried it out wouldn't you know, they fit. The adjusters also fit the Dia-Compe Guidonnet Levers. You get an easy, convenient way to adjust brake cable tension on the fly.

In response to an earlier post with regards to Info Overload, Don sent us a picture of his decaleur turned info center complete with temperature and time.

Do you have any products that have more than one intended use?

A few submitted hacks in comments:


John Ellsworth said...

7-speed bike that was originally a 10-speed: Left shifter removed from Dia-Compe ratcheting stem shifters, with brass spring bell screwed on in its place.

Threadless headset with a threaded fork whose chromed steerer was too short to go fully threadless, but not threaded quite far enough for my bike: Clamping down the headset were headset spacers, a NOS Suntour headset locknut and a threaded headset top nut. Quill stem.

ColonelJLloyd said...

I didn't have enough steerer to mount a hanger and the quill mounted one wouldn't fit the VO threadless adapter I had machined down to 21.1mm. So, I came up with this using a seatpost cable hanger and the noodle from a stem mounted hanger. http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7131/7512331868_be94de2f10_h.jpg

eric said...

drilled and bent a couple metal tabs to hang your bottle cage from the cinelli stem:


somervillain said...

I'm using a Velo Orange headset decaleur and an extra VO fender stay to securely attach a wicker basket to my wife's bike. I call it the baskaleur:


Anonymous said...

Here's a pic of a mudflap I made out of grace ice & water shield: file:///Users/adamheintz/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Modified/2011/Oct%2029,%202011/IMG_1493.JPG

MT cyclist said...

I coupled your Gran Compe brake adjusters with your city levers to help restore a lovely little Peugeot folder. At the time I didn't realize it was a hack, however.
The bike had stainess fenders and chainguard, but the inside piece of the chainguard was missing. I fashioned (hacked with tinsnips) a pretty good replacement from a piece of stainess sheet metal. It worked pretty darn well, and you had to get pretty close to see it was homemade.

That was a sweet little bike that went to a good home.

enzomatic said...

I might try to tackle guidonnet interrupter brakes when I get some time. There will always be a brake lever where I need one.