15 June, 2012

Chainguards Part 2

Not as exciting as Part 1, but...


I said it couldn't be done, but I was wrong. Casey managed to get a Porteur chain case to work with a rear derailleur and a 9-speed cassette. The clearances are tight, but it works perfectly. (Of course it won't work with a front derailleur.) The crank is a Grand Cru 110bcd fluted double, but with only one ring. A fair number of the original porteur bikes had 1X5 drive trains, so this modernized 1X9 is in keeping with tradition.

Speaking of single cranks, do you think we should get a single speed version of the 110bcd Grand Cru? It has more clearance that the 50.4bcd so is much easier to set up. And if so, what is the ideal chain ring size? I'm thinking 46t.

Some folks feel that the logo on the Grand Cru chainguard, in the previous post, is too big. Let me explain why I did it that way, even though I generally dislike oversize logos. The large logo on this chainguard follows a certain style of chainguard that I happen to love. Many companies made guards with their logos as part of the design. It was considered cool, even fashionable. My all time favorite is the CLB guard.

If you don't like this style then don't buy it; we already have plans to make another, minimal-logo, chainguard next year. The etching is super easy to change and we may change it every year. How about the circle containing a French rooster, sunflower, peace sign, yin and yang... Wonder if we should open up the design process and ask for submission from artistic customers? I've even considered making some blank ones that frame builders could have engraved with their own logos. But the Grand Cru design is what I wanted for my bike so that production run gets made first ;<)


13 comments:

Phil Miller said...

Rooster! Love it. L'equipe national.
Yes, 46T, and I've been looking for a fluted armed single speed that I could get common chainrings for. 110 is a little small.

dr2chase said...

Wouldn't it be possible to dremel away enough of the Porteur chaincase to allow a derailer to work? Or would that look so awful that it is not worth doing?

In my case, after getting tired of tight clearances with a Sugino crank, I eventually expanded the interior hole quite a bit. Big win, my usual commute includes some potholes and curb hops, and I could not attach it tight enough to prevent all wiggling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr2chase/5829254738/

In case anyone else wants to put one of these on a tandem or big dummy: http://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/installing-a-velo-orange-porteur-chain-case-on-a-big-dummy/

VeloOrange said...

We considered cutting away some of the chain case to make it work with a front derailleur. You could probably make it work with just the right (wide q-factor) crank, but it's iffy and it might never look right.

Getting a chainguard to work with a front derailleur is easy so long as you're willing to settle for an ugly guard. Making an elegant version is, as we're finding out, much more difficult.

dwainedibbly said...

I have to say that I have always thought that this chain guard is proof that not everything French is beautiful. I know that sounds harsh, but bear with me. The real beauty of it is inside, in what it can become if cut down. I guess in that way, it's a blank canvas, waiting to become something unique and beautiful.

Noah said...

I don't think it's the size of the logo and design that puts me off on the new chainguard. It's more to do with how the etching pops and draws so much attention. I too love the CLB chainguard. For me this example is just a little too much. Of course if I saw it in person I might be singing a different tune. But in general I tend to like more minimal logos. Something a little more subtle like the stamping on the nitto noodle bars would be really cool though. Looking forward to seeing the new renditions coming out later.

Christopher said...

Nice! Now I have to build a new bike around it....

Justine Valinotti said...

Le coq de l'equipe francaise? Sounds good to me.

I also think the 110 BCD single sounds like a good idea. If you make it, though, please don't put one of the spider arms behind the crank: Doing so makes it more difficult to mount chainrings and bolts!

Kilroy said...

Greetings,

Much ado about nothing. The problem lies in the illusion. The chain guard gives the impression of motion-being blown by the wind. The logo does not. It's a rigid circle. A touch of "cursive" added to he logo might do the trick.

theshepherdsdog said...

absolutely. 46 would be great.

Velouria said...

"I've even considered making some blank ones that frame builders could have engraved with their own logos."

That would be fantastic.

Jack Taylor said...

The new winged chaincover is a lot better looking than I had expected. However, I do think that it is a bit too flowery for many people.

I'd like to make a suggestion about the other chaincover.
I would hope that this simpler chaincover is altered to provide the same coverage from 10 o'clock to 12. A sort of blank french chaincover, rather than a short Raleigh 3 speed chaincover.

I also think the chaincase should be available with a bb mount like a dutch chaincase. I'd prefer that to the more visible mounts.

Eric said...

Now how about a chain guard that fit over a front derailleur? I see these all over Europe. but for some reason U.S. bike guys seem to think it can't be done. It can!

Cory Ponton said...

Absolutely open up a submission for designs!
I'd imagine making it a contest would stir up some imaginative designs!