30 March, 2012

Miscellanea

I want to apologize for VO being out of so much stuff right now. Due to some production delays our latest container was shipped over a month late, but will arrive in two weeks. Another shipment is about 4 weeks out, so we should be re-stocked on almost everything pretty soon. Wheels will take a little longer since they must be built up after the rims arrive.

We were taking inventory this week and found a bunch of miss-marked boxes of stainless steel fenders. How did that happen? They are 58mm wide and made for 650b wheels, but are also an excellent fit on 26" wheels.  We're blowing them out. Need fenders for your 26" LHT?

I'm a little disappointed that our regular front racks are outselling the models with integrated front decaleurs. I just want to tell you that the integrated front decaleurs are the way to go. They put the decaleur at the perfect height on any size frame. They weigh less than a separate decaleur and rack, and they are easier to install. If you don't need the decaleur you can just install the U-shaped "plug". They are the only type of front rack I would put on my own bikes, except for the Porteur rack.

My 12-year old son got a new (used) bike yesterday. Alec has been into road racing since his training wheel days. I think watching the Tour de France in person at age 6 has something to do with it. When I offered to get him a Surly Cross Check to replace his 24-inch wheeled cyclocross bike he wanted no part of it. He wanted a "real road racing bike," no fenders, no wide tires, no canti-brakes, and no racks allowed, but carbon fiber is cool. (Where did I go wrong?) I know that it's more likely that he'll use a bike that he really likes, so we bought him a used aluminum Trek with a carbon-fiber fork and seat post and 23mm tires. It can be really really hard being a dad sometimes! (Anyone want a nice used 24-inch wheeled Redline CX bike for their kid?)


21 comments:

Dave Lloyd said...

How much for the Redline and will you ship? I've got an 8 year old that's itching for a road bike.

VeloOrange said...

Dave, $350 plus whatever actual shipping cost is. You can email me at info@velo-orange.com for details.

Marc said...

Don't feel bad, when I finished my Mixte with hammered fenders. porteur rack model 8 saddle et al, My college student son said,"Cool, PeeWee Herman would be proud of you!"
Guess what his inheritance consists of.

Marc

drew said...

Hey- maybe he'll really get into racing, and tbe the next big American road racing star! Anyway, your point about him being more likely to really use a bike he likes is right on the money. Either way, you know eventually he'll come around to the V.O. way of thinking- no matter how long or serious the racing phase is. Remember the first rule of parenting- the more clear and definite your agenda is, the more resistance you will encounters from the offspring. Hope you both muddle through with a minimum of pain!

Anonymous said...

I would rather have the rack with decaleur, but the Rando mini-kit had the plain rack... too good a deal to pass up!

Anonymous said...

I am very much in need of a front wheel (high flange Grand Cru) built on a PBP 700c rim to match the lone rear I have. Is it possible to pre-pay in order to get those to the wheel builder the very second they're unpacked?

dwainedibbly said...

Awesome deal on the fenders!

ccollins said...

I have 37-590 tires on my Raleigh Sports. I want to buy mudguards. What do you think, would big 650B fenders or 700c give a better fender line, and have enough clearance?

Anonymous said...

He loves cycling! He didn't grow up with a Sting Ray... What's a father to do? Just try and keep up!

Enjoy,Richard

DubArchitect said...

Good to hear -- I've been itching for a bunch of your stuff and was sad to see it out of stock!

Anonymous said...

What happened to the Constructeur Front Rack (Integrated Decaleur Version)?

william said...

any idea when the 1" clamp on cable hanger will be available? on the 2 week shipment or the 4 week shipment?

thanks

John I said...

Finding lightweight kids bikes is hard. Any tips on finding one for an 8 year old that won't break the bank?

NOPE_NO_NAME_SORRY said...

I am excited, I've been waiting to place an order for a while now!

Anonymous said...

I left the question about pre-ordering pre-built wheels. My favorite LBS has become a VO dealer. Can I order a pre-built wheel through him (to give just that bit of biz to the LBS)? Or do you sell the built wheels to dealers?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

another month until the wheels are in stock, this is getting painful...

Anonymous said...

Is there a reason the porteur chaincase doubled in price overnight?

80 was a bit steep, but I was finally ready to buy. 160... no way, sorry.

Anonymous said...

The 650b fenders also work on 26x1 3/8" bikes, both the Raleigh and Schwinn size. I just installed a set of hammered 650b fenders on a friends Raleigh Sports. They look great!

7sp said...

www.islabikes.co.uk are awesome. Whether they break the bank or not is your call.

Alec said...

Chris Collins: You'll want to use 650b fenders, since the British 590 size is very, very close to the 650b (584) size.

William: cable hangers in about two weeks, yes.

Anonymous 3/31/12 6:51 PM: Yes, we sell pre-built wheels to bike shops - ask him to contact us if he's not already a dealer.

Anonymous 4/1/12 12:58 PM: That was a mistake. It's been fixed - sorry!

Everyone else: just a couple more weeks for things to be back in stock!

Anonymous said...

On the pre-built wheels: LBS is a dealer, and I'll have him contact you to be first in line! Many thanks!