08 May, 2009

Picture Day


I really love the above photo. The bike belongs to Christian who is a randonneur, artist, and longtime VO customer. His work bike has the cool wicker panniers we used to sell (they are no longer available). You can see some of his art on his blog, drawing off the bicycle. Here is some info about the bike and build:

..it is a 1971 Raleigh International. Ever since I was a young boy I have had a crush on fancy chromed lugs. One of the older boys up th estreet had a beautiful Schwinn Paramount. It was baby blue with chromed nervex lugs. I still don't own a Paramount, but this was easily the next best thing. I found the frameset on ebay a number of years back and it spent a couple of years as my all around city bike. At that time it was rather ad hoc in terms of the components and I followed The late great Sheldon Brown's lead for drivetrain. Meaning I used an internally geared hub, and went with a drum brake up front. This bike was used throughout the year and winter can be rather unforgiving in Milwaukee. So those elements made a lot of sense. I still have the front drum hub in use, but this bike has gone through some updates of late. I recently acquired a set of vintage Rigida wheels and will be replacing that front drum brake with a centerpull caliper. I would also like to retro fit the lights with LED technology as they are currently a bit novel as old incandescent technology. Though I do like the moustache bars, I have been thinking about going to drops so that I can fit a bag up front. The baskets tend to be pretty full with drawing gear when I am out, and my back is just getting too old for the messenger bag:)

The chocolate brown VO Passhunter belongs to Jan-Olov who lives in Sweden. I don't think the color looks right in the photos; it's more like a Hershey bar brown. Our components are gaining popularity in Europe, but this is the first VO frame to cross the pond. There are more photos here and here.

This lovely "LHT Truckaccino City Bike" was built by Bill to match his LHT touring bike. There are a number of VO components. There is more info and more pics here. Nice build!

12 comments:

Greg said...

Lots of great pictures of Velo-Orange stuff on my flickr group as well.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/velo-orange/

skvidal said...

I like this picture day thing you've been doing. It's nice.

Karma said...

Those wicker baskets are amazing!! Id say I wish you still sold them but as a poor grad student drooling over parts Id never be able to afford them anyways. They are pretty though!! Keep up the amazing work.

Kilroy said...

Greetings,
This may be off subject, but I need a mount (like the inverted metal "t" on Christians bikes' front fender) for an old headlight for my fender. Any help in locating a vintage headlight mount such as this?
These bikes are appealing and they say a lot for Velo Orange.

Garth said...

Christian's green International is beautiful. That was a frame I really wanted, but could never find in my size. That was before I got the Heron, but even now, if I had the chance...

Kilroy, you could make that mount. Get some cardboard, like from a cereal box and make a pattern. Two pieces. Copper, brass or aluminum from the hardware story, and a coping saw to cut it and a file to shape it. A drill to make the holes. Ball peen hammer and a piece of wood to form it. Paint it with black or aluminum spray paint. Or, use 400 grit then 1000 grit wet n dry and lastly Mothers or Simichrome to polish. Voila!

Okay, easier said than done.. but if you like to make things as I do... :)

Kilroy said...

Greetings,

Thanks for the tips on producing a light mount.That would be a major undertaking for me. By the time I bought all the necessary tools,....

Doug said...

Is there an advantage to the two-pulley chain tensioner used on the Trucker on the last photo? Why not use a simpler, lighter one with less drag, like a Surly singleator? Is it because it makes the chain harder to pop off?

Tom said...

the 2 pulley tensioner is what shimano recommends (and sells..) for their alfine 8 speed hub.

Red said...

I would love to eventually get some wicker panniers, and a wicker basket for a front porteur rack. Are they just hard to source? I remember that Herschberger (sp?) front basket VO used to carry, too. What a set that would make for a porteur build-up!

BSR said...

I'm with you, Red! That would be an awesome setup for the front of my bike.

Now that the porteur rack is available, I was hoping to get that front Hershberger basket as well, and was dismayed to see that they are no longer offered.

I don't even know if the Amish family still makes them -- every search I run sources back to VO, and is a dead-end.

Anyone else know?

Velo Orange said...

Those baskets are no longer made. The Hershbergers have no phone or e-mail, so it was not easy to get the baskets. We had to rely on a friend who used to live close to them to help us.

BSR said...

Bummer! Thanks, Chris.

I'll just have to keep looking for a similar basket.